Get to Know Pilanesberg National Park
Only two hours' drive from Johannesburg, this lovely 550 sq km reserve supports a wealth of wildlife within a collapsed volcanic crater abutting the famous Sun City complex
Free of malaria and home to all the Big Five, the Pilanesberg Game Reserve is the closest game reserve of comparable quality to the heavily populated province of Gauteng, which incorporates Johannesburg, Soweto and Pretoria, as well as the continent’s busiest international airport. It offers excellent general game viewing, with elephant and white rhino both very common, alongside a good selection of antelope and other ungulates.
P.S. If you're looking for Pilanesberg accommodation specials, we've got some great travel deals for you.
- Top rhino and elephant viewing
- Closest place to Gauteng to pick up bird species associated with the dry west
- Well suited as a weekend or overnight break for business travellers to Johannesburg
- Organised night drives offer an opportunity to glimpse rare predators such as brown hyena and aard wolf
- Good for self-drive safaris
- Malaria free