Get to Know Madikwe Game Reserve
Just a four-hour drive from Johannesburg, Madikwe is studded with a dozen or so exclusive lodges offering world-class game viewing and a family-friendly feel enhanced by the malaria-free location
Extending over 750 square kilometres of North West Province, Madikwe Game Reserve was created from former ranchland in the early 1990s, and was restocked with some 8,000 individual animals belonging to 28 different large mammal species (including all the Big Five).
Closed to day visitors, it now functions much like the private game reserves that abut the Kruger Park, but in a far larger area. Madikwe is home to more than a dozen small camps that offer an all-inclusive upmarket safari experience, the focal point of which is guided game drives in open 4x4s.
- Malaria free, making it a top pick for pregnant women, or travellers with small children
- Good Big Five viewing
- A top site for African wild dog sightings
- The exclusion of day visitors and self-drivers makes for a more exclusive
- Safari experience than that offered at most other public reserves.
- High guiding standards at most of the lodges